- Walters, Jonathan.
Mutoscope. EarlyCinema.com. Last modified March 2002. Accessed January 10, 2014. http://www.earlycinema.com/technology/mutoscope.html.
- Thomas, Bob. Walt Disney: The Art of Animation: The Story of the Disney Studio Contribution to a New Art. 1958. Reprint, New York: Hyperion, 1991.
- Lessing, Erich, photographer.
Tomb of Chunm-Hotep. 1923. Beni Hassan, Egypt. Lessingimages.com. Online. Accessed May 9, 2014.
- Peter, Eramo Jr.
About… Magic Lantern Film Blog. Accessed January 13, 2014. http://magiclanternfilm.wordpress.com/about/.
- Clark, Dahl.
Magic Lantern. Laura Hayes and John Howard Wileman Exhibit of Optical Toys. January 13, 2014. Accessed January 13, 2014. http:// courses.ncssm.edu/gallery/collections/toys/html/exhibit02.htm.
- Cavendish, Marshall, Peter Mavrikis, and Wendy Horobin, eds. How It Works: Science and Technology, 3rd ed., s.v. "Animation." New York: Marshall Cavendish, 2003. Questia Ebrary, Accessed January 14, 2014. http://www.questiaschool.com/read/121203752/how-it-works-science-and-technology.
- Waghorne, Dick. Thaumatrope, 2005. Laura Hayes and John Howard Wileman Exhibit of Optical Toys. Accessed January 10, 2014, http://courses.ncssm.edu/gallery/collections/toys/html/exhibit06.htm.
- Bright Bytes Studio.
Our Thaumatropes. Jack and Beverly's Thaumatropes. Last modified March 2004. Accessed May 7, 2014. http://brightbytes.com/ collection/thaum.html.
- Jobson, Christopher.
155 Years Before the First Animated Gif, Joseph Plateu Set Images in Motion with the Phenakistoscope. Colossal. Last modified October 17, 2013. Accessed May 7, 2014. http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/10/the-first-animated-gifs/.
- Muybridge, Eadweard. The zoopraxiscope—a couple waltzing, c. 1893. The Williams College of Art. Accessed January 13, 2014. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Phenakistoscope_3g07690a.gif.
- Walters, Jonathan.
Zoetrope. EarlyCinema.com. Last modified March 2002. Accessed January 13, 2014. http://www.earlycinema.com/technology/ zoetrope.html.
- Clark, Dahl and Dick Waghorne.
Zoetrope. Laura Hayes and John Howard Wileman Exhibit of Optical Toys. Accessed January 13, 2014. http://courses.ncssm.edu/gallery/collections/toys/html/exhibit10.htm.
- Fouché, Pascal.
History. Flipbook.info. Accessed May 7, 2014. http://www. flipbook.info/history.php.
- Kay, Jeffrey.
History. Flippies—Custom Flipbooks. Accessed May 7, 2014. http://www.flippies.com/flipbook-history/.
- Reynaud, d’Émile. Le Praxinoscope d’émile Reynaud Pour La Nature, Revue Des Sciences, 1879. Le Conservatoire numérique des Arts & Métiers. Accessed January 14, 2014. http://cnum.cnam.fr/CGI/fpage.cgi?4KY28.12/137/100/432/0/0.
- Walters, Jonathan.
Praxinoscope. EarlyCinema.com. Last modified March 2002. Accessed January 14, 2014. http://www.earlycinema.com/technology/ praxinoscope.html.
- Blackton, J. Stuart. The Enchanted Drawing, 1900. The Library of Congress. Accessed January 14, 2014. http://memory.loc.gov/mbrs/animp/1592t.gif.
- Fantasmagorie. Film. Directed by Émile Cohl. s.l.: Société des Etablissements L. Gaumont, 1908.
- Webopedia. s.v.
cel animation. Accessed January 10, 2014. http://www. webopedia.com/TERM/C/cel_animation.html
- Jackson, Kathy M. 2005.
Living life inside the lines: Tales from the golden age of animation. The Journal of American Culture 28, no. 4: 446-447. Proquest. Accessed January 16, 2014. http://search. proquest.com/docview/200571487?accountid=41494.
- Lee, Lavalle, James T. Nethery, and Les Carpenter.
History. Traditional Animation. Accessed January 14, 2014. http://www.traditionalanimation.com/animation-library/history/.
- TV Tropes Foundation, LLC.
The Golden Age of Animation. TV Tropes. Accessed January 14, 2014. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ TheGoldenAgeOfAnimation.
- The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, s.v.
animation, accessed January 10, 2014, http://www.merriam-webster.com.
- Walters, Jonathan.
Mutoscope. EarlyCinema.com. Last modified March 2002. Accessed January 10, 2014. http://www.earlycinema.com/technology/ mutoscope.html.
- Cherry, Kendra.
What is Gestalt Psychology? About.com Psychology. Last modified November 12, 2013. Accessed January 9, 2014. http://psychology.about.com/od/schoolsofthought/f/gestalt_faq.htm.
- Anderson, Joseph and Barbara Anderson. "The Myth of Persistence of Vision Revisited." Journal of Film and Video 45, no. 1 (Spring 1993): 3–12.
- Sito, Tom.
Introduction: Why A History of Animation Unions? In Drawing the Line: The Untold Story of the Animation Unions from Bosko to Bart Simpson, 1. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2006.
- Duck and Cover. Film. Directed by Anthony Rizzo. New York: Archer Productions, 1952. Accessed from https://archive.org/details/DuckandC1951.
- Povenmire, Dan, and Jeff "Swampy" Marsh, prods. Phineas and Ferb, "Pilot," episode 1. Originally aired August 17, 2007.
- Basile, Nancy.
Cel Animation. About.com: Animated TV. Accessed January 11, 2014. http://animatedtv.about.com/od/thesimpsonsfaq/a/celanimation.htm.
- Kayo, Mark.
The History of Cartoon Cel Animation. eHow. Accessed January 16, 2014. http://www.ehow.com/about_6454561_history-cartoon-cel-animation. html
- Riffel, Casey.
Dissecting Bambi: Multiplanar Photography, the Cel Technique, and the Flowering of Full Animation. Velvet Light Trap 69 (2012): 3-16. Accessed January 13, 2014. http://search.proquest.com/docview/923757400/142F95CFC89119D0A77/1?accountid=41494.
- University of California, Santa Barbara.
Art Music Video. UCSB Courses. Accessed May 13, 2014. http://www.mat.ucsb.edu/~wakefield/amv/theory-animation.htm.
- Priebe, Ken A. The advanced art of stop-motion animation. Boston, Mass.: Course Technology, 2011.
- Power, Pat.
Ludic Toons: The Dynamics of Creative Play in Studio Animation. American Journal of Play 5, no. 1 (2012): 22-54. Proquest. Accessed January 14, 2014. http://search.proquest.com/docview/1459141074/142F96DA221608024F1/8?accountid=41494.
Computer animation. ScienceDaily Articles. Accessed May 13, 2014. http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/c/computer_animation.htm.
- DBS Interactive.
What Is the Difference Between 3D and 2D Animation?. DBS. Last modified January 29, 2010. Accessed May 13, 2014. http://www.dbswebsite.com/blog/2010/01/29/what-is-the-difference-between-3d-and-2d-animation/
- Dube, Ryan.
What Is CGI Animation?: Technology Explained. MakeUseOf.com. Accessed January 14, 2014. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/technology-explained-what-is-cgi-animation/
- Roos, Dave.
How Computer Animation Works. HowStuffWorks, Inc. Accessed January 15, 2014. http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/computer-animation.htm
- Moniot, Robert K.
Motion Blur. Digital Artform. Last modified June 4, 2005. Accessed January 14, 2014. http://www.digitalartform.com/archives/2005/06/motion_blur.html